Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tragedy, Shamgedy



If I were following on my lead properly, I'd be dehydrated by now from crying over the death of a Yankee pitcher who flew his plane into an apartment building in the middle of Manhattan that I'd probably be too shriveled to type.

I feel terrible that a guy who was a mediocre pitcher at best and I'm not talking about him as a human being, just as a professional, played a game of sport that paid him enough money to buy a $187,000 toy plane for a little side hobby to begin with.

Why am I supposed to feel bad about this? Why is this labeled a "tragedy"?

Immediately after the Phillies’ season ended, Lidle met with a flight instructor, Tyler Stanger, in Pomona, Calif. He had his pilot’s license by February and seemed amazed at how easily he picked it up.

“It’s no problem,” Lidle said in September. “It’s easy.”


Apparently not so easy, pal. But maybe because becoming a millionaire by being mediocre at what you do was so easy you figured everything else must be a lark, right?

I don't begrudge the baseball world mourning this moron but that it is headlines all over, that it gets more air play than all of the other ongoing problems of the world, sticks a bit in the craw.

Career numbers: 82-72 with a 4.57 earned run average. Career earnings, 17 MILLION FIVE HUNDRED AND FIVE DOLLARS.

Yes, I'm feeling weepy already.

No comments: